Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Things that we could have done without in 2006...

February 28
Hawthorne Heights – If Only You Were Lonely
Say hello to what was the bain of my existence for a good part of 2005 and 2006. This band is one of the many bands that comedian Brian Posehn were referring to in “Metal by Numbers”. They are absolutely horrible but really I couldn’t have expected much more, they are signed to Victory Records.

May 23
Angels and Airwaves – We Don’t Need to Whisper
Here we have one of the million Blink 182 spin offs. I love blink 182 but I’m getting really tired of the members of blink 182 doing bad projects. This album had a lot of hype surrounding it but in my opinion it did not even come close to living up to it.

June 6

Metallica play their new song (yet to be titled) for the first time in Berlin
I just really wish that they would stop trying to play music. They really should have given up after the Black album because after that it all went to shit and they hit rock bottom with St. Anger. Don’t even get me started with that album, that’s an entire blog all on its own. If you haven’t heard it just read the lyrics that all you have to do to realize the garbage that it is. It does sound promising that Rick Rubin (Red hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, System of a Down) is producing it but its Metallica, nowadays no one can make them sound good, especially when they couldn’t write a decent song to save their lives. I just read this album is due out in the spring of 2007, at least I’ll have something to talk about at the end of next year as well. Thank you Metallica!

June 20
Nelly Furtado – Loose
The title says it all. Nelly Furtado has been another pop star whore. Oops, I’m sorry I mean “Promiscuous Girl”. The so-called role models that are spread all over the media are teaching girls to be sluts. That seems like a great idea! I remember when pop stars were simplistic, innocent girls that little girls like myself looked up to. We didn’t look up to them because they could get any boy they wanted but because they could sing, sometimes write their own songs and dance. Remember Debbie Gibson? Tiffany? I’m really hoping by the time I have a little girl, the pop industry will turn around and head towards a more innocent image. I mean the slut image will get tired eventually won’t it? I certainly hope so.

June 27
Crazy Frog Presents More Crazy Hits
Anything that stems from an internet joke should be aborted at conception; this idea shouldn’t have been allowed past the board room let alone materialized a second time. I don’t care to hear this, hearing a piece of a song once is enough for me, enough for anyone!

August 22

Paris Hilton – Paris
It was actually earlier in the year when I realized the world was officially coming to an end. Paris Hilton had a single? I had heard the rumors but tried to ignore it in the hopes it would go away but it didn’t, it just kept coming. As much as I hated to admit it, “Stars are Blind” was not a horrible song but there was no way I was endorsing anything that had to do with Paris Hilton. The girl that’s famous because her dad owns the Hilton Hotels and she parties all the time?!? Fuck I know tons of girls that could drink her under the table! As for the album, I’m convinced that she’s pulling a Milli Vanilli and doesn’t actually sing on the album others are saying that auto tune was her best friend on the album, either way it’s crap!

September 19
Fergie – The Dutchess
The Dutchess, gimme a break she’s not even the greatest member of the Black Eyed Peas although the Elephunk album was pretty good. All I ask is that if you can handle it, just listen to the single off this album for yourself, I can’t tell if she’s singing or talking. I mean it’s a good song to shake your ass but that’s it. And what’s even better is a while ago I saw a magazine with her on the cover and it said and I quote “Find out what Fergie did before she started BEP”. The Black Eyed Peas were around long before Fergie came around. Ya wanna know what she did before BEP? I’ll tell you, she was a member of a shitty unknown pop group called Wild Orchid. I’m really tired of seeing this girl.

October 15
CBGB hosts its final show featuring Patti Smith before closing and announces it’s moving to Las Vegas after a lengthy rent dispute. This is by far the shittiest thing to happen all year. This was the birthplace of punk in America, where many now famous hardcore bands made names for themselves including Gorilla Biscuits, the Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, Reagan Youth, Warzone, and Youth of Today. So much history exists withing the walls of CBGBs, I only wish I had been able to attend a show there before Hilly Kristal closed it’s doors. Hilly has been quoted as saying he plans on gutting the location in New York and taking as much as he possibly can (including walls and urnals) to the Las Vegas location and auctioning off what he doesn’t want off on ebay. I’ll be watching eBay like a hawk for a piece of that history.

Panic! At The Disco – A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
This album was actually released in the fall of 2005 but P!atD (apparently this is short hand for Panic! At the Disco) didn't actually release any singles until 2006 so it was this year that I grew to like, love, and hate them all in a couple months. I'm not proud to say that I liked them but I never went so far as to buy the album I didn't need to I heard it everyday at work. Thanks Carmen! It was a member of Fall Out Boy who found P!atD, I think we could have figured that out on our own considering they sound exactly like Fall Out Boy right down to the voice of the lead singer. I think one Fall Out Boy and one Pete Wentz is enough for now.

Guns n Roses
So they're finally on tour. Rumours have been ongoing about new material for almost 10 years now. I really think Axl should just give up. I mean Guns n Roses’ hay day is long over, they’re never going to recover the stardome or fanbase that they once had, especiallly not with an album that has been in production for almost ten years at a cost of over $15 million. That according to Wikipedia. Also for the crotch rock that G n R play is it really necessary to have 8 members? It’s reported that Chinese Democracy is finally being released this coming spring. I would be really surprised if it actually came out on time considering it’s and Axle’s history.

September 2006
Rock Star Supernova
I admit I really enjoyed watching this season of Rock Star, I also really liked Rock Star INXS. The contestants actually have previous experience in bands, writing original material and playing intruments, they’ve been working really hard on making a career out of playing music. They’ve put their time in and deserve this chance. The contestants on American and Canadian Idol where they have not had much previous experience and most of them couldn’t write their way out of a wet paper bag. They don’t deserve the chance they’ve been given. Back to the topic at hand. I guess I can understand why Lukas Rossi was chosen to front Tommy Lee’s super band, he’s “different”. I guess he can sing but I really can’t stand the way he sings, it’s too similar to all those new cock rock bands like Theory of a Nickel Creed. They should have picked Toby. More importantly they should have picked a better name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol I love Crazy Frog's Song...yes just one. Totally agree about a full album being very sad though.

As for the rest of the list I agree as far as the songs I've heard from the album, SO excited to hear Gnarles Barkley's full album.

One case in point for Nelly Furtado's Cd, an old co-worker said that she heard that Nelly was almost forced by her label to change her style to be a little more edgy. As an artist, if that's true then she has lost a very important and significant part of herself as an artist. It makes you question someone who would willingly change for someone else.

Even if it isn't true and she has developed this way on her own, again it puts her in a bad light morally and as an artist. So either way you want to look at it, she's screwed lol. Good luck on that one.

Cass