Thursday, July 23, 2009

Love and Beth Ditto

While waiting to meet a friend for dinner yesterday I decided to waste some time in a local bookstore. I was looking for fashion inspiration but ended up finding a new favorite band.

While scanning this months covers of American and British pop culture magazines I came across this one:


First I was incredibly shocked and impressed that a woman that's NOT 5 feet and 100lbs was featured on the cover of a magazine then I needed to find out who this woman was. I opened to the article and began to read. I soon found out that this woman, Beth Ditto, is the front woman for the band Gossip whom I had never heard of. Her ballsyness and love and support for feminism and the riot grrrl movement pushed me to follow up and find out what kind of music this girl is doing. I'm not really sure how to define it. It's a mix of Heart, a bit of originial pop punk and full on girl power. I love it!

Reading this article in Love magazine I also found out that way back in 2006 Sony Music started a "gay" record label that has since dissolved. Interesting huh?

Check out one of The Gossips videos below...


1 comment:

Mista D said...

Hey there! Great blog! I wanted to comment in response to this blog of yours: http://mixtapemess.blogspot.com/2007/04/dont-do-me-like-that.html about The Salads, but I wasn't able to. Please hit me up at mistad420@yahoo.com to chat! ;) Thank you! PEACE.1.D.