Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Things that made 2006 that much better...

I’ve been seeing best/worst of music 2006 lists popping up everywhere and I don’t necessarily agree with most of what these people are saying, so I decided to assemble my own list compiling the best and worst in the world of music in 2006 through my eyes and ears. My list ended up being a lot bigger than I had expected so I have split it up into three parts, Things that made 2006 that much better, Things we could have done without in 2006 and Things that I'm not sure what to think about from 2006 (this one is not very long).

January 23
The Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I am That’s What I’m Not
I admit that after hearing all the hype surrounding these guys I wasn’t too interested in hearing them. I resisted for as long as I possibly could and when I finally heard the album I realized what all the hype was about and that they actually exceeded the hype in my opinion. If you haven’t heard these guys I definitely recommend taking a listen. If may not be for you but at least give it a chance.

February 21
The Loved Ones – Keep Your Heart
For the love of punk rock! I haven’t heard a punk album so well written and catchy in a really long time. I’m going to go so far as to say that this is one of the best punk albums of the past 5 or more years. I think even those of you who don’t necessarily listen to punk would love this. “Jane” is one of those songs that just sneaks in your head and stays there for days but unlike shitty pop/rock songs it’s enjoyable and don’t mind having it in your head.

Spring 2006
NOFX – Never Trust a Hippy EP
A little teaser as to what was to come on the full length in April with a great cover I might add.

March 21
The Sainte Catherines -Dancing for Decadence
This album is definitely in my top 5 for releases this year. These guys have come a long way from the shitty track on an old Peanut Tree compilation that also included missing. If gives me the shivers just thinking about how horrible that track was. Anyway Dancing for Decadence is a great punk album from beginning to end. The album stays true to what punk is and what’s even better? They’re Canadian!!

Anti-Flag – For Blood and Empire
Oh, Anti-Flag. This is the first of two albums to be put out by Anti-Flag as per their contract with RCA. It seems a bit hypocritical of a band with very strong anti-capitalist lyrics to be signing to a major. I’m not judging them though they’re my favorite punk band and have been for a couple years now. Personally I like The Terror State better but on this album you can hear Anti-Flags growth as musicians. It’s nice that the album doesn’t sound exactly like everything else they’ve released over the years.

MC Lars – The Graduate
MC Lars is Weird Al for punks. He refers to his music as Post-punk laptop rap. The songs may not be the greatest but the lyrics definitely give you a laugh especially if you’re one of those people who are fed up with fashion punks and fashion-core. “Signing Emo” is by far the best song on the album with “Internet Relationships” coming in at a close second

April 4
Pink – I'm Not Dead
Ok so I’m not usually a huge fan of pop music, but there’s something about this album and Pink for that matter. Maybe I’ve been fooled but Pink, even though she’s a pop star, still has the balls enough to say how she feels and write songs that actually say something and have meaning and aren’t just one dimensional. This album is no different. The first single “Stupid Girls” is in your face with how fucked up the image of what’s “hot” is right now and how misguided young girls are with slutty pop star images and personalities. One of my favorite tracks is “Dear Mr. President”, an open letter obviously to George W. Bush asking how he can live with himself when he causes so much pain and hurt in the world. I’m not asking you to go buy this album maybe just read the lyrics and if you have a young daughter buy it for her, help her learn that Paris Hilton is not a role model.

April 11
.moneen. - The Red Tree
The first release by .moneen. since signing to Vagrant and it seems they've composed more radio friendly songs for this album (as in track length). It's a well produced and composed album, it flows evenly from one track to the next. I'm not as found of The Red Tree as I am with Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now. The first single “If Tragedy's Appealing Then Disaster's An Addiction” is a great track I also enjoy “The Frightening Reality Of The Fact That We Will All Have to Grow Up And Settle Down One Day”.

April 18
NOFX - Wolves in Wolves Clothing
This is yet another great punk album that was released in 2006. The March released EP gave us all a little taste of what was to come with Wolves in Wolves Clothing. A solid album throughout but if anyone knows NOFX they know that have pretty much put out the same album for the last 10 years. Also if you know and love NOFX it doesn't fuckin matter because it's NOFX and it still rocks.
Key tracks: “Seeing Double at The Triple Rock”, “Wolves in Wolves Clothing”, “Benny Got Blowed Up”, “60% (Reprise)”, “Doornails”

April 25
Bruce Springsteen – We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
In my opinion this album is the best thing Mr. Springsteen has done since the Born in The USA days. I can't suggest one single track because the whole thing is brilliant. This is a great folk album/must have for every music lovers collection.

Taking Back Sunday – Louder Now
If any of you listen to or used to listen to Taking Back Sunday you'll know that Tell All Your Friends and Where You Want To Be sound a lot alike and although Louder Now still sounds like Taking Back Sunday, it's more rock and not so much emo which is ok by me. I've always liked them but began to rethink once they managed to release Tell All Your Friends twice but hearing this one reignited my fondness for them.
Key tracks: “What it Feels Like To Be A Ghost”, “MakeDamnSure

May 9
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium
I remember maybe a year or less before this album came out reading about it in Rolling Stone and I thought, “A double album release of all new material? How is this going to work?”. I love RHCP but I was pretty skeptical how they were going to pull this off without including a bunch of filler on these two discs. There is a bit of filler but they're tracks that will grow on you, not the type of filler that will have you skipping the track when it starts. This album is kind of all over the place but it still flows. There's typical RHCP funk stuff mixed in with some rock anthems and some not so radio friendly tracks. My favorite track off of both discs is “Hump de Bump”

May 23
Less Than Jake – In With The Out Crowd
You better believe I was super excited for this release. I love LTJ! I loved “Anthem” and grew to love everything before that. I will say that this is not LTJ's best effort, even they have admitted that but there are still some really great tracks on it. Overall there aren't enough horns in my opinion but the songs where they are present are gold! “Overrated (Everything Is)” is a decent track but the one that stood out to me the first time I listened was “Let Her Go”. Less Than Jake is like pizza, it's awesome but when it's bad it's still pretty good. Rock n Roll Pizzeria!!

June 6
The Bouncing Souls – The Gold Record
I’ll be honest here, I didn’t pay much attention to The Bouncing Souls until recently but after this album was released I started to. I love this album. The Gold Record on its own is a great album and well worth a listen.

June 27
Good Riddance – My Republic
Their 7th full length album and the first album after their hiatus following their Bound by Ties of Blood and Affection tour. A great album for old and new punks alike, it still has the same ol’ Good Riddance feel that we all know and love but also brings a fresh sound that would appeal to younger people who may not have grown up listening to Good Riddance.

July 4
Rise Against -The Sufferer and the Witness
I’m not really sure where to start with this album. There’s so much to say I’m speechless. I’m going to go so far as to say this is number one on my top 5 of this year. “Ready to Fall” is the first single off the album, many of you may remember me talking about it from a previous post. The songs video counterpart is harsh especially for those with weak stomachs or soft hearts. The in-your-face attitude of the video is also carried on throughout the album and is carried well I might add. You can feel their passion for the music and the topics at hand. This release is just as good as Siren Song for the Counter Culture. As for favorite songs, I can’t just pick one the whole album is solid.

Greg Graffin – Cold As The Clay
Although Mr. Graffin isn’t as good at folk music as he is punk, this album is still great. Featured on the album are various other artists including but not limited to Jolie Holland, Brett Gurewitz, and Jason Tait from The Weakerthans. This album may not be for everyone, I recommend checking it out before buying it.

August 15
Christina Aguilera – Back to Basics
Like I said before I’m not a huge fan of pop especially not of Christina Aguilera but now that she’s made her way out of her slutty Xtina phase and grown up some I can actually enjoy listening to her. This album has a lot of blues, jazz and soul influences which are very apparent (not just in her fashion). I love it when modern artists can take decade’s old music and personalize it for new generations. It’s nice that Christina managed to do this without ruining the essence of music from the 30’s and 40’s.

August 2006
Metal by Numbers a song that mocks screamo bands. You know the bands that try so god damn hard to look metal and sound metal but don’t realize they’re making complete fools of themselves? Or pretty much every band on Victory Records currently This song is to metal what “Signing Emo” is to punk. This video is definitely worth watching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit Shana!
You put a ton of work into this. I remember you saying that wanted to do something like this so good for you. Keep it up.

Les.

Shana said...

What can I say... I'm passionate about music :)