Friday, February 16, 2007

We are all friends, brothers and cousins

Like most of my blog titles this title was borrowed from a song I know, by a guy I love dearly



So last week I attended a potluck at a friends house and to be honest it was probably the best party I've been to in a really long time if not ever. This entire house is so musical. Everyone who lives there plays some sort of instrument and has an amazing passion for music. The entire night consisted of listening to, watching and/or talking about music. We couldn't get through an entire song/album without one of the guys getting super excited about a band or song they just thought of that had to be played at that moment. I felt completly comfortable there with my own kind. Although I don't play an instrument (though I am learning) I have a great passion for music, that's why I write about it on here because I'm not yet at the point where I can express myself musically. Another thing that really stuck out to me about these people was that even though they clearly know a lot about music they weren't arrogant about it nor did they make other people feel less than just because they may not be as well versed in music as they are.

Why this party is so significant to me is because I'm used to parties at our house that usually consist of us playing Nintendo and watching cartoons or sitcoms on TV. I don't mind this, but I much prefer to talk to the people at my party and have music playing at the same time. Although many of our friends are musical many are not and thus we can't have parties like the one I attended last week.

I'm possibly going to a party tomorrow night and many of the people there will be the friends I spoke of who are very musical. So needless to say there will be a lot of music being played and talked about. However I don't think that some of these people realize that I do in fact know a lot about music. There are some things I don't know and am still learning. I think these things will come as I get better at guitar. There are a lot of things that just listening to music can't teach you, things that you have to play to understand.

When I was growing up I didn't realize that music existed beyond the radio or high school kids who played shows. The people in my life that would have been the ones to introduce me to music outsde my little box were sheltered musically themselves. My family has never been a very musical family on my mom or dads side there were always more important things to do with your time than listen to music. Now that I think of it there were a few family members who played instruments but it was never shared with the family. In her younger years my grandmother played piano, my grandfather played steel guitar and one of my uncles played guitar. But like I said it was strictly a solitary activity, they played/practiced in a bedroom by themselves. I wonder what family gatherings would have been like had these abilities been shared with the rest of us?

It might seem that I'm using my musically sheltered childhood as an excuse but I'm not. I want people who have sharing musical families to realize how fortunate they are to have them. (*you know who you are) I love you guys! :)

And on that note, I'm done.


Banana

2 comments:

theSquaredanceKid said...

I know what you mean Shana. Music in my family was never forced, but encouraged and nourished. All the music I have ever played for anyone that they have enjoyed can be directly attributed to my parents and my brother...and of course, my amazing friends!!!

p.s. Snowbanks don't make very good beds. Three cheers for MBo.

Shana said...

I hope my home is even the slightest bit as musical as yours.

Yea snowbanks aren't very comfortable... three cheers to M-Bo is right! There's no way I could have walked on my own. He's a good guy, he even called on Sunday to see how I was feeling.